Sunday, May 29, 2011

Country Cooking, Favourite Recipes ~ Family Circle (Murdock Books)

Okay, so by now I'm sure you all know I'm a cookbook tragic, but what you probably don't know is that this little book, as part of a box set of six, was the first in my collection thanks to a very thoughtful 18th Birthday present from my Aunty Helen. And yes, it is one of those little cookbooks like the ones that you'd find at the supermarket checkout, but there is a reason people buy them - they're full of good, well tested recipes. I have quite a few of this type of cookbook now myself.


I really like the recipes in this book. Like all the Murdock cookbooks this one is very professional in its approach, and the recipes are written in a straightforward and easy to follow writing style. These publishers know what it takes to sell cookbooks and who is going to be reading them and they cater accordingly, making a very readable and useable cookbook. The recipes are great, from French onion soup to Shearers' stew with dumplings and Apple-marmalade pie. My personal favourite from this book would have to be the Trout almondine though, which I made many years ago for an anniversary dinner - to date this is still the best fish I've ever cooked.

I would recommended the book to ordinary cooks looking for homestyle, flavoursome dishes.

- Kath

No comments:

Post a Comment