Sunday, May 22, 2011

Cheeses ~ Tony Bilson

This cookbook is special not just because it is written by Tony Bilson, one of the giants of the Australian food industry, but because it was the first time I went back to buy another copy of a cookbook because I couldn't part with one I'd bought as a gift for someone else. It has been a longstanding tradition since that time, and it can get quite expensive, particularly around christmas.


I really like that the first half of the book is dedicated to teaching the reader about the various classifications of cheese, how to taste, buy, store and serve them. Being specifically written for the Australian market, Bilson discusses in some detail the disadvantages of only pasturised cheese products being able to be imported into the country, lamenting the lack of access to some of the great European cheeses. There is also discussion about the strengths of various Australian cheesemakers, though given the age of the book (published in 1995) this is now out of date. My understanding is also that there have been changes to the laws regarding importation of unpasturised cheeses in the last year or so, with matured raw milk cheeses such as proper Stilton now allowed to be imported. Don't quote me on that. As an aside, I grew up on raw milk (we had a Jersey cow that Mum milked) and I didn't die of Lysteria, so it's not the most terrible thing to go unpasturised, as long as you are considerate of hygiene.

Bilson was very clever in deciding which of his recipes to include in the book, as each and every recipe is lip-smackingly delicious. From the Tarte au cointreau to the Fondue with framboise I just want to dive right into the pages. The Figs with virgin olive oil and cottage cheese is simplicity itself, contrasting the more complex Saltimbocca with parmigiana and oh my, the Grilled lobster with Parmesan ~ mmm. I could go on, but rather I'll just suggest you check out the book.

Recommended for foodies.

- Kath

No comments:

Post a Comment