Saturday, May 28, 2011

Cooking for Few ~ National Heart Foundation of Australia

I know, it's very sad that I should own this book, billed as it is as a guide to easy cooking for one or two. Makes me feel as though I should be sad and lonely. If I'm remembering correctly though this is one my mum gave me ~ not sure if that should make me feel better about it, or worse. The meatloaf served on lettuce leaves on the cover picture should provide everything you need to know about this cookbook. The recipes may be Heart Foundation approved, but that doesn't make them good.


Okay, so perhaps I'm judging the book a little harshly, because it's not as though all the recipes are bad, but when your Curried carrot soup gets its flavour from a teaspoon of curry powder you should think twice before publishing your recipes, as they perhaps need the attention of someone with a talent for flavour. That said, I could probably sit down to the Spanish roast lamb followed by the Lemon tapioca pudding without wanting to complain, so there is hope. I'm not going to lie to you though, you do have to dig hard for the better recipes in this book.

Recommended for sad and lonely types who can't cook particularly well and are fighting off heart disease.

- Kath

No comments:

Post a Comment