Saturday, January 7, 2012

Homestyle cookies, muffins + cakes ~ Bay Books

This book is one of those really simple to use cookbooks that has been well thought out and well designed and presented, and not at the expense of the recipes contained within. It's actually the second of two books I bought with the exact same content, which although seemingly a waste at the time has actually come in very handy since my ex has claimed half my beautiful cookbook collection. Unfortunately I can't tell you exactly what the other one was called (currently packed in a box awaiting removal to the exes new place), but it had a purple cover if that helps at all :)

What I really like about this book is the simplicity - big glossy pictures - straightforward recipes and only one or two recipes a spread, so very easy to handle in the kitchen. And straightforward isn't to say that the recipes are dull, not at all, there are some absolute delights contained within, but they are the sort of thing you could easily throw together, or get the kids to help you with without taxing your skills or your sanity much at all.


I can easily imagine a dozens of different reasons to bake some of the goodies within. The Walnut brownies or the Ginger shortbread creams would make ideal fare for a work morning tea, the kids would absolutely have a blast helping make the Gingerbread people or the Butterfly cupcakes, or just wolfing down some Sugar and spice palmiers, and it would be such a pleasant way to fill in an afternoon with my grandma over a cup of tea and some Marbled blueberry cake or some Chocolate apricot pretzels. But the best reason of all, to impress someone special - I think I'd try serving the Coffee kisses first, then perhaps the Hazelnut truffle slice, or I suppose if things weren't going well the Sour cherry cake. Guess that might depend on the special someone. I'm thinking coffee, very dark chocolate and something with a hint of orange might be nice...

I would absolutely recommend this book to your ordinary garden variety home cook, the recipes are straightforward, look good, and most of all are nice and tasty.

- Kath

No comments:

Post a Comment