Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Two Fat Ladies, Gastronomic Adventures [With Motorbike and Sidecar] ~ Jennifer Paterson and Clarissa Dickson Wright

I must admit I loved the TV series of the Two fat ladies, and thankfully the slightly wicked sense of humour that both Clarissa Dickson Wright and Jennifer Paterson brought to the series is also present in the cookbook. I loved the irreverence of Jennifer with her highly polished bright red nails and hands covered in jewelry getting into the mixing bowl, and I loved the terribly un-PC jibes at vegetarians, particularly as I was vegetarian myself at the time the first series went to air.


What I also loved was the simplicity of the food idea's - sensual, produce based, sometimes a little bit fancy, but very do-able. This cookbook, the first of several following the popularity of the show, brings with it the same gay abandonment and flair of the series. No holding back on the butter in the Potted shrimps or dripping or lard in the Bubble and squeak, and a whole gorgeous chapter on game with dishes such as Partridge roasted in vine leaves and Haunch of roe deer in cider. My very favourite recipe from the first season of the show, the Shooter's sandwich featuring a big juicy rump steak and field mushrooms stuffed into a hollowed loaf and pressed is also featured, so I'm quite satisfied with the book, and could you really go past the ladies for your Scones or your Danish apple and prune cake needs?

Recommended for fans of the show, and any cooks wanting an irreverent slice of the best of British cooking.

- Kath

No comments:

Post a Comment